Executive Producer – Eastern Region (Ottawa)
A little bit about us:
Launched in 1999 as the first national Indigenous broadcaster in the world, APTN creates a window into the remarkably diverse mosaic of Indigenous Peoples. As a respected non-profit, charitable broadcaster and the only one of its kind in North America, we share our stories of authenticity, while connecting with our audience through genuine, inspiring, and engaging entertainment.
Here’s what we can offer you:
As a Top 100 employer in Canada, taking care of our people is our priority. In addition to our fun, flexible team environment our total rewards package includes: comprehensive company paid health and dental coverage, an employer matched – Defined Contribution pension plan and an employee/family assistance plan. Other highlights include a 35 hour work week as well as training & development assistance, which is highly encouraged. It is important to us, that we support you and your success during your time with us. That’s why our total rewards are designed to help you achieve overall balance personally and professionally, both now and into your future.
Highlights of this opportunity:
Do you want to make a difference and build on your passion for news broadcasting in a leadership role?
Are you ready to take the next step in your career? If you said yes, then this is the opportunity for you!
• Showcase your strength in leadership, by guiding your team through all facets of APTN News production;
• Mentor and coach your team on story development/writing, ensuring highest journalistic standards are met;
• Strive to ensure our newscasts and current affairs shows meet a high legal standard for responsible journalism;
• Show hands-on leadership in ensuring that our news content relevant, accurate and meaningful for our audiences;
• Enthusiastically seek out and identify underreported and under-represented voices from a diversity of Indigenous communities;
• Seek out opportunities to enrich our news and current affairs broadcasts with the inclusion of Indigenous languages
and cultures wherever possible;
• Mentor, encourage and coach interns to help them flourish and strengthen their journalistic skills in the newsroom;
• Represent APTN in meetings, conferences and working groups, including some travel from time to time;
• Participate in the development and implementation of long term organizational strategic and business plans;
• Negotiate contracts and agreements with stringers and other providers of News programming;
• Oversee the continual development and implementation of plans and design for APTN News content, including
special events coverage;
• Identify and problem solve technical/operational requirements, as it relates to programming;
• Adhere to all corporate, legal and license requirements;
• Seek to maintain the excellent reputation of APTN at all times.
Your accomplishments and experience include:
• Post-secondary education in journalism or related field with proven senior experience related to journalism;
• Strong demonstrated experience in broadcast journalism;
• Supervisory knowledge and experience with a genuine commitment to ongoing learning and development;
• Exceptional verbal and written communication, partnered with solid problem solving and decision making skills;
• Fluency with Internet, E-mail, broadcast industry software and technology;
• A strong spirit of collaboration, dependability, positivity and a love what you do attitude.
Your new opportunity awaits; come and see what makes us one of Canada’s top employers!
Click here to join our team today. Please apply before Wednesday, March 31, 2021.
As an Indigenous employer we encourage First Nations, Inuit and Métis applicants to apply.
Please note: During the current COVID-19 environment all interviews will be held via MS Teams or teleconference.